Road Warrior


The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Since the movie is coming out next month, I'd thought I'd revisit the novel. One of my friends recently mentioned how the part of the book where the predatory roamers were first described and how it unsettled him. In a future where food is ultra-scarce and there is no law, roaming bands of dirty, hungry people can't be a good thing. Especially when some of them wear gas masks, right?

I read recently a comment on a message board complaining about how the scavengers looked too "healthy" in the movie stills that were released. Well, my first reaction was that those alarming characters had a source of nutrients that others did not: humans. Yep, they just ate people. No age discrimination, either.

I remember a part in the book where the main character finds a shriveled apple tree that has produced shriveled apples. He was so happy to bit into the bland, dried ghosts-of-fruit that he pretty much teared up. Like they had stumbled upon a great fortune.

Anyway, I drew one of the road-prowlers. Equipped with sunken eyes, wonky hair and gas mask. I like to believe that this character drew the teeth on the gas mask himself. It's something he'd do. He eats people, for crying out loud!

About the illustration:
Done with watercolor and some new Prismacolor pens that I just bought. I like!

3 comments:

Denise Gallagher said...

Super creepy!
The hand-drawn teeth on the gas mask because he eats people (any age!)!?
Gives me a shivery!!
Yikes!

(But I love his hair!!)

Muse said...

I have neglected Booksketch and look at all the great things I've missed. This piece is awesome! I love the creepy look on his face. And his hair is pretty awesome.

Burt said...

The fact that these prowlers aren't "shown" much in the book, and are rather just hinted at in a "They're coming, they're behind us, is that them?," sort of way makes it oh-so-much creepier!